Tuesday, January 17, 2006

A bit of color for a dreary day

The art quilt group I belong to is putting together a CD of images to submit to venues for possible shows. I needed to decide on a couple of images to go on the CD.

I made this quilt about a year ago, but it has just been hanging around. I'm still not sure I really like it. I have never shown it or submitted it for anything, but I decided to photograph it today for the CD. I think one of the things that made it look good to me today was the color. It has been raining steadily here for weeks and it is gray and dreary and dark. During a break in the rain, I took the quilt outside and hung it on the side of the house--my usual spot for photographing quilts--and it just seemed to glow in contrast to the grey surroundings.

So after I got it photo'ed I had to come up with a name for it. This is so hard for me. I almost never have a name in mind as I am working on a piece. This one has some altered photographs of Ecuador worked into it. It also reminds me of the way the stones at the Inca ruins fit together, so I called it "Inca Stones". Now that it's done I think that's kind of a dumb name, but I still can't think of anything better.

7 comments:

  1. FWIW, I like it very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy sherbert colors (well at least on my rather lame monitor at work).

    Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Inca Stones" that title is not dumb in the least. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The colors really work the squares and triangles...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's terrific. Great visual rhythem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous8:21 PM

    It has wonderful vibrant colors, but a very calm and sedate design which works really well. I want to get a closer peek at those photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Terry...I love it too....I thought "tiles" when I saw it. When we were living in Friday Harbor, Wash. (on San Juan Island, way north of Terry, and not quite as rain-sogged as the mainland but still dreary in Jan/Feb), I decided quilters have an "anti-January" thing going. You walk into a store or dive into your stash and find the brightest possible colors just to be an antidote to the perpetual gray and gloom outside!

    So enjoy your anti-January color!
    Cheers, Sarah

    ReplyDelete