Sunday, July 16, 2006

Fabric stamp experiment

This odd looking thing is a stamp that I carved from a piece of rubber carving block. (similar to this stuff) That's a 1" grid behind it for scale. My idea was to produce a visual texture on fabric using a pretty much random pattern.

I started by rolling out some fabric paint on a piece of acrylic with a rubber brayer, then using the stamp to stamp it onto the fabric. I started with a dark purple. From there I added layers of different shades, getting gradually lighter, until the piece was pretty well covered and covered again.

I use mostly commercially printed fabrics, but I have always liked the idea of, and the process of printing my own fabrics. I like the depth of this piece. I had no particular purpose in mind for this little piece. I was just experimenting, but now I think I need to find something to do with it.

After I wrote the first part of this entry I was looking at some other blogs and came across fabrics others have been painting and dying. Boy, am I boring! This looks very dull compared to some of the wild and extravagant painted fabrics I have seen. But it is the kind of thing I will use.

If you want to see some really great painted fabrics, check out some of these:

Deb Lacativa at http://morewgalo.blogspot.com/

Dijanne Cevaal at http://origidij.blogspot.com/

Marion Barnett at http://artmixter.blogspot.com/

3 comments:

  1. Terry, your fabric is beautiful! I love the gold effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A friend has just suggested to me that you may know Wattle as Mimosa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't done any fabric dying, or stamping of any kind. I think yours is beautiful. Purple is a great color, and gold always adds happiness to anything. You've done a great job! Is the ink permanent, so you can wash the fabric?

    ReplyDelete