Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Bathroom redo

You have not seen much fabric or sewing content here for quite awhile. Ray and I are reminding ourselves not to become the kind of grandparents who talk of nothing but their darling grandchild. It is tempting to make this blog "All Sofia, All The Time" but there actually are other things going on in my life. Do you remember the "before" pictures of our main floor bathroom? You can see them here. We finally finished that project.

This was a little plan I put together before to get an idea of color and pattern. I ended up using a little bit darker taupe on the bottom half of the walls.


Here are the "after" pictures. I am pretty happy with the results.

I could not find a shower curtain that I really liked, so I made one. (heads up—this is the sewing and fabric content) It is made from a natural colored cotton and stenciled with a design I adapted from a book of Arts and Crafts motifs. It worked out even better than I expected and may be my favorite thing in the room. We bought the rug in Oaxaca on our recent trip to Mexico.

My flea market find painting of the pretty lady in the hat still looks great with the new color scheme, so she is back up in her accustomed spot.

8 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:05 AM

    Gorgeous! Did you paint the countertop or replace it? I love the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great. Love the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:17 AM

    What Kristin said ... (details on the countertop, please).

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:02 AM

    Oh, oh! Do I talk about M & M too much? I don't think so. Wait until Sofia is 3!!

    The shower curtain looks great and I love the color scheme - perfect for your home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually Gerrie doesn't talk about her grandkids too much at all! Just the right amount, with beautiful pictures of those beautiful children. Gerrie is my "blog mentor". I strive for the same kind of balance of family, art and other stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your bathroom looks great...but you know, I wouldn't mind 90% Sofia and 10% your art... I LOVE your art, but Sofia is equally as beautiful and of course has the added Adorable Baby Factor. So, post ahead. Those non-baby lovers can go read other blogs for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Write about the baby all you want. She is adorable and you are entitled to brag!

    Love what you did with the bathroom, I sympathize about the blah blue. When we first bought our house my entire kitchen was either wallpapered in that blue (with the accompanying dusty pink roses) or sponge painted in the same colors. Nothing a few gallons of paint (did you know how hard it is to cover up sponge painting?) and wallpaper stripper didn't cure -- but yech! I really love the shower curtain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous4:55 AM

    Gorgeous shower curtain!

    ReplyDelete