Monday, May 31, 2010

Wet

I know I've already whined about the weather, but here it is the last day of May and so far we have had double the normal rainfall for May. We are close to a record. If it continues to rain today we'll probably beat it. Yeah, it's good for the gardens—well, kind of. Flowers are blooming, everything is an incredible green, but a lot of it is looking pretty beaten down. Like these azaleas out front.
And the irises.
I think we are all feeling a little soggy and beaten down. Ray runs out to work in the garden between showers. I putter around the house. The fallen and broken trees gave Ray an excuse to rent a chainsaw, a manly tool he enjoys using. He combats the rainy day blues with good, productive work.
I took advantage of a brief, rainless window a couple days ago to go out and arrange some rocks along one of our new paths.

As Ray has been digging out front we've noticed how many round, smooth rocks he digs up. River rocks. It makes me wonder if our yard was underwater at one point. These rocks are far more smoothed than the ones in the bottom of the creek. We've been setting them aside and I am using them in the landscaping. The landscaping progresses. It will be a long term project. These log rounds were set aside before Ray started splitting the rest of the two trees cut earlier for firewood. They will be little tables or something for outside.

Some things really love the rain. The rhodies and clematis are drinking it up.

My favorite rain plant is the lady's mantle. The raindrops sit like gems on the leaves and the bright yellow-green flowers add a lot of pizzazz to the scene.

And, of course, the weeds are thriving.

3 comments:

  1. You are plagued by rain, we have had an usually windy and dry May with the accompanying threat of wildfire. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH, river rocks. Do you have a basement? We almost bought a house until we found out it was on an old stream bed, and required a sump pump to keep the basement dry.

    I love river rocks -- they were what I grew up with. I was astonished to discover that they are not universal; some kinds of rock don't round and smooth and/or some kinds of rivers don't encourage that kind of gem tumbling. I'm glad you have been finding them -- a bit of history.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am whining (and wining) as well ... my flowers are literally melting! ;(

    ReplyDelete