Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My little artist

Sofia loves to draw and do art projects. She is also very interested in my work and the books and magazines I have about fiber art. The other day I found her sitting on her potty paging through one of my FiberArts magazines. "I just love these pictures," she said. Grandma's girl.

Today I was looking at my new Quilting Arts magazine and she crawled up next to me to peer over my shoulder. "Look, Grandma! Butterflies!" It was a photo of  an installation of textile butterflies made by children.


"Do you want to make a butterfly, Sofia?" 

"Yes!"

While I drew an outline of a butterfly shape on a piece of muslin, Sofia went through my little box of small scraps to find fabrics for her butterfly. I pressed the fabrics and applied fusible webbing to the backs of the fabrics. She started laying the pieces out on the butterfly shape.

Once she had pretty well covered the muslin outline I carefully transferred the fabric to the ironing board and fused all the scraps in place. She added a few more, as well as the body. Then we fused it all to a purple background fabric, and cut out the butterfly shape.


All finished. I told her  she could hang it on the wall in her bedroom if she wanted to. "no" she said. She just wanted to put it in her purse and have it. And she did.

18 comments:

  1. I love it. I miss the days when Mia enjoyed things like this. It is a beautiful flutterby!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treasured moment. My granddaughters are 23 and 21, and step-granddaughters are 23, 21, 17 and 11. The one who loved the scraps and button jar the most is still creating! I know you enjoy these times with Sofia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful butterfly, Sofia! Perhaps Sofia can become a spokeswoman for Interweave! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how the colour choices reflect the colour in her sleeves!

    I also like the just having it idea. Like how many of us just make things and never hang them up. We just have to make them and have them.
    Thanks for the shared moment.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:12 AM

    Beautiful butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty...the butterfly is too. How exciting-another artist in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm already saving up scraps of fabric and ribbons for Riley, I can't wait for these times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea. I will be visiting my granddaughters in several weeks and I am sure they will love this project. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you and she are both lucky to have each other. This is beautiful in every way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that she's reading Fiber Arts on the potty! You guys are going to have to start saving up to send her to RISD or Otis or Cooper Union! I'm going to have to show my budding artist and her crafty friend Sophia's gorgeous butterfly because I know they'd love a project like that too. Those girls are in my scrap bins every weekend wrapping their dolls in fabulous outfits.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just having it.....that is priceless, or the beginning of a Stash addict ;-) I am sure we know who will be getting Grandma Terry's fabric in the Will.

    My earliest memories are sorting through the scrap basket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brenda11:36 AM

    Sofia is so lucky to have you for a grandmother!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a charming child! I adore thinking of her reading Fiber Arts on the potty. and so great to have you ready . willing and able, to make that butterfly with her.

    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like button please!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! What a great little project. Brings back lots of memories of my grandma. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How fun for both of you! That is so cute, and I'm delighted that Sofia is already showing signs of following in your footsteps!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just wonderful. I love that look of concentration, or maybe it’s critical assessment, in the last picture. Does this need anything more? No, it’s finished.

    ReplyDelete