Sunday, August 18, 2013

In the studio today

I am glad, on days like today, that I decided to have a ceiling fan put into the studio. The only problem is that in the mornings the sun shines through the skylights above the fan and the rotating fan causes a strobe-like effect. You can see it on the white walls. Very annoying. I keep thinking I am going to have a seizure! By afternoon the sun has moved and the flickering stops.

Here is an in-progress peek at the big piece I am working on. Yes, those triangle blocks will be pieced.

Two new little beady pieces. The top one has a couple of dangling threads with beads at the ends.



For these little pieces, I prepare the backgrounds in the studio, using mostly ends and scraps of fabrics, with a piece of batting on the back. Then I take them to the house to work on in the evening. Here are three little backgrounds made today.

I don't yet know what will go on them. I will try out combinations of beads and threads and see what I come up with. I have a plastic box that I have outfitted with a variety of beads and threads and other supplies that I am keeping in the house to work on these. I enjoy having some handwork and these have been a lot more fun than sewing bindings and sleeves on quilts.

4 comments:

  1. I am really enjoying your quiltlets. They are interesting to look at and have their own personality. That is a lot to triangles in your big piece! I really like triangles as a design element, but boy they can be a pain to sew. Have a wonderful week, Terry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why don't you try painting the blades of the fan with a matte paint - even white - to keep them from glaring back at you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the two new pieces, Terry. They have a wonderful, almost Zen like quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just sketching a half square triangle baby quilt. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours.

    ReplyDelete