Thursday, October 17, 2013

Color intoxication

This morning was foggy for our walk. The fog created silhouettes in gray, of the trees, until you got close. Then suddenly the color would emerge from the mist, almost taking your breath away. I kept taking pictures, hoping to capture all that color. When I got home and looked at the photos on the computer screen it was a surprise to see how complex the color was. I think of fall color as mainly oranges and golds. They are so bold that I guess we don't always notice the warm, smoky purples and acid-y greens and taupes and soft blues that provide contrast and context. For fun I used Photoshop and pulled out some combinations based on the photos.










11 comments:

  1. Beautiful! The vibrant fall colors haven't arrived in the south yet. The trees are just starting to turn the light yellow/green color before busting out the golds and oranges and reds. I'm hoping for a good color season this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very cool Terry, thanks for taking the time to analyse the colour. Fascinating.
    Sandy in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. A good heavy mist in the fall can be very eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:04 AM

    What a fun way to look at color.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm probably asking something dumb that everyone knows, but how do you analyze the color?

    I love how there are so many 'fall' colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I set up the row of boxes in Photoshop, then opened the photo in Photoshop. I sampled colors in the photo with the eyedropper tool and then filled each box in the strip with one of the colors, choosing a nice variety of the colors represented in the photo. The strip, obviously, doesn't show all of the colors in the photo. I, unscientifically, chose the most prominent colors in each photo.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful color schemes. I guess that it is a case of Mother (earth) knows best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:25 PM

    Fabulous photography, what wonderful colours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. intoxication indeed! fabulous color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the idea of putting a colour palette next to the photo via photoshop - thanks for the tip :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have also been enjoying the fall colors against the fog, but keep forgetting to take my camera with me! Thanks for the great photoshop tip. Fun!

    ReplyDelete